When planning free motion feather placement I often do this...


When planning to machine quilt free motion feathers I like to use lots of wiggle room so I don't have to be perfect.




Wiggle Room 1 - Draw around a shape you want to fill with free motion feathers. 

Here I use a circle template. In case I put 2 feathers in one shape and 3 feathers in another, the outside of the drawn around shape stays consistent, not the feathers.



Wiggle Room 2 - Offset the circle or shape. 
In this case I placed the circle over from the pivot point. This way the feathers would be less symmetrical and not perfectly perfect which takes the fun out of it.


Wiggle Room 3 - Offset the center of the circle and use a portion of the circle like 1/3 or 2/3 and ignore the center. 

We are so programmed to be perfect and everything lining up, we often forget to arrange things in a more interesting way.

Play with your arrangements, you never know what you will come up with :) And it is a lot more fun!


Pattern used is the 6" Terry Twist(R)




2 comments:

  1. Hmm. I usually understand what you are saying and instantly visualize it, but this time---it's all Greek to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat, simply offset the center of the circle on the shape--not a hemisphere but an asymmetrical shape so your feathers will be small, medium and large. This makes it easier to quilt and your shapes do not have to be all the same size....built in "wiggle room" :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment...Happy Quilting, Sally