Quilt Tops That Smell Like Smoke?

A few years ago, I took in an older quilt top that smelled like smoke. My customer found this quilt top at a relatives and wanted the smoke removed, and of course washing the fabric was not an option.

Remember in an earlier post I said you had to quilt the top dirty? Smokey fabric tends to make other fabrics smokey too. Thought you may want to know what we have done to remove the smoke and freshen the fabric.


Of course the modern way would be to use Fabreze TM...but that is risky because you are wetting the fabric and colors may bleed. Also it might not get all of the smoke out of the fabric the first time.


Here is one solution I tried and this worked fairly well. The second time I tried this, there was still a hint of smoke.

  1. Use a fresh bar of Dial Soap. If it is the large size cut it into thirds. Just use a kitchen knife and it cuts easily because it is fresh out of the package and still soft.
  2. Wrap the soap loosely in a paper towel and secure with string or a rubber band.
  3. Place the soap and the quilt top in a large plastic bag (there are even scented bags available) and close the bag air tight.
  4. Let it sit for about a week.
  5. Open and quilt, saving the bar of soap in a zip lock bag for next time.
The next way to remove smoke in fabric is: 
  1. Hang it outside on rust proof line, PVC pipe or even a ladder that will not transfer dirt, discoloration or rust to the fabric. You can also lay the fabric on other fabric or plastic to keep the fabric from being damaged.
  2. Wait for a thunder storm with lots of lightening. The ozone released during the lightening removes the smoke smell. I was amazed the first time I tried this. It worked. This is nature's ozone chamber.
  3. Place the fabric in a covered area like an open garage, porch or overhang so it will not get wet.
  4. Let the fabric air out for another day or so before gathering it back up.
  5. Keep it away from other smokey fabric when storing.
The final way is use a commercial ozone chamber. This will remove all traces of smoke. Call your local dry cleaners. If they are large company they may have one or could send the fabric off for you. They typically charge by the pound.


Hope this helps. I have tried and experienced all three of these. I lost a home a while ago from a gas explosion and some of my clothes survived. The insurance paid to have my clothes, that weren't smoke damaged, put in an ozone chamber. They told me there was a choice, either fill  remove the smoke stain or the smell, but not both.

Please comment if you have a way that you have found successful in removing smoke from fabric.

don't miss another article, get updates, fill in the form on the right




2 comments:

  1. I had a customer, a very good customer, who smoked, and brought me tons of quilts. I had a box, lined with a huge plastic bag, and I put Irish Spring in it. I would put the quilts in the box, wait 10 days, and then I could quilt them. I never hung them near, anyones quilts.She kept me very busy, for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, Irish Spring, that would be a great choice. Love the smell. Good to know about the time length as well. If I recall I think it was about 2 weeks before I got to the quilting. Thank you so much for your comment. Quilt Happy

      Delete

Thanks for leaving a comment...Happy Quilting, Sally